Barry Durman had a fantastic year doing 150+ visits including his John O’Groats to Lands End charity bike ride for Shelter. During the year he has raised £26,000 for them.
Our New National President is Dave Campbell and Vice Phil Ellis. Sean McCormick won the vote for Nat Secretary.
National Charity this year is Princes Trust. Watch out for the 2018 calendars.
Priorities remain as fun, fellowship and community – have a great year everyone !
A few dates for you to be aware of:
* 2 June 2017 Classic Car Rally
* Also note that we have a new deal with Heritage Car Insurance for classic /prestige vehicles.
* 13 August to 30 August Cruise to Antwerp. Ghent, Rotterdham and Amsterdam
* 1 September National Caravan Rally
* Thursday 24 September National Golf Competition near Gloucester. Please note congratulations to Newport for winning the 2016 competition for the 3rd successive year !!
* 9-11 February 2018 National Sports and Social Weekend in Okehampton
* April 2018 National Conference will take place in Belfast
Capitation remains unchanged at £14.50
The results of the resolutions are as follows:
||Carried or Lost
|Resolution 1 is just to change the title of National Communications Officer to that of National Communications and IT Officer.
|Resolution 2 wants to limit the cost of national events to £55 as some of them are currently £90.
||This is a contentious debate and was not supported by national council.
|Resolution 3 will require 7-14 days notice to be given by the national board to the national council to allow time for due consideration to be given.
|Resolution 4 would give all voting delegates £40 towards their expenses for attending the National AGM.
||We want to encourage more clubs to attend and listen to the debate but they fear that no more people would attend and we would only be spending another £8k on those who already attend to subsidise their weekend away. We do need to do something to encourage greater participation but this may not be the right solution.
|Resolution 5 – proposal to undertake a survey to ask members if they wish to continue receiving a National Magazine.
||Various pros an cons of the magazine. There was a survey last year and 86% of respondent voted to keep it so they don’t see the point of another survey
|Resolution 6 is simply a request to have all future carried resolutions to be included in the Associations Constitution & Rules without exception within 30 days of the AGM so they are easier to find.
|Resolution 7 is a request for the Association’s Reserve Policy to be included in the Association’s Constitution and Rules.
||Yes we should know what our policy is and enforce it but this is not a constitutional matter.
|Resolution 8 is a request to remove outdated wording relating to Corporate Responsibility for all members of National Council to allow them to express alternative views to other people on the national council
|Resolution 9 is trying to stop past national presidents from standing for other national posts.
||We do need new blood of course but we should not be precluding people with experience. I think this is aimed at a specific individual as no-one can remember a single past president who has stood for another national post afterwards.
|Resolution 10 would require at least half of those who are present and eligible to vote at National Council meetings to vote in favour of the matter to provide an overall majority to allow it to go forward.
||The only problem with this is that abstentions would count the same as a no vote
The following is a report from Nick Morcumb, our Region 11 National Councillor.
(1) AGM in Blackpool April 2017
- The reports, resolutions and budget 2018 are being finalised and we are expecting the national capitation of £14.50 to remain unchanged.
- Please send a representative but if your club is unable to attend and vote then consider using me as a proxy to vote on your behalf.
(2) Replacing CAS
- Our admin system needs replacing and they are considering the options. We need something more suitable for our needs, that can improve out technical capabilities and that will reduce costs.
- The National President supports a different charity each this year and our president for 2016/17 Barry Durman has chosen Shelter. So far he has raised over £20k which is brilliant.
- As many of you know he had been doing a bike ride from John O’Groats to Land’s End but had a serious accident landing him in hospital for weeks. He is now on the mend and is looking to finally complete his epic challenge. If you do want to support him I’m sure he’d appreciate it.
(4) National Sports & Social Weekend
- Our 1st NSSW for 41 Club took place at the weekend in Okehampton.
- We had a brilliant time with lots of sports, food and a few beers too.
- It was so successful we will definitely be going ahead next year.
(5) Top to Toe Walk
- Many clubs across the country support local events and good causes and nationally we are supporting the Teenage Cancer Trust with their Top to Toe walk from Glasgow to London.
- The closest clubs near us are Stockton Heath and Warrington so we have approached them to provide a few helpers to greet the walkers and set them off the next day.
(6) Got Any News ?
- Lots of you do interesting activities so let me know about them please ?
- Write a few words and provide some pictures so we can show others what a great job you do in your clubs.
- I will try and get them into the national newsletters, magazine and website.
- What are you doing to attract “like minded” individuals to become members ?
- Are there ex-tablers who have yet to join you ? Have you asked them ?
(8) National Community Service Award
- What community activities have you undertaken this year ? I know that many of you do and you should be recongised for your great work. Please provide me with a few lines explaining what you do so I can nominate you for a national award ?
(9) Round Tabler Award
- Do you know a Round Tabler who has worked particularly well with your 41 club in 2016/17. Please provide me with a name and tell me why they are so great ? I’d like to nominate them for an award.
(10) Restarting Round Tables
- Hopefully you will know by know that I am helping Round Table to restart several clubs – Ellesmere Port, Oswestry, Ellesmere and very soon Newport. It’s not me doing all of the hard work as we need table to lead but myself and a few 41 club members are helping Table by providing advice and direct support.
There are lots of issues here and we need to do something to help you….. our clubs and members. Please shout so that I can put forward your views !
Whitchurch 41 Club & National Councillor Region 11
Home: 01948 830408
Mobile: 07913 179662
For the past few years 41 club have been holding a photographic competition with the winners being included in a calendar. This year there was an online vote for the best ones. The results of the vote were published in the July magazine, the photos can be viewed in 41 Club’s Flickr account at this address:
The calendars have now been produced and are priced at £5 each, £3 of which goes to President Barry’s charity, Shelter.
If you want one let me know. I’ve got a few but can probably get more if you want one.
Many thanks – Nick Morcumb
National Councillor for Region 11 & Whitchurch 41 Club Tel: 07913 179662
A report of May’s meeting at the Holly Bush can now be seen on the website.
Click here to view it.
Once again, 41 Club triumphed against Stafford RT 176 to retain the TT Trophy.
Well done guys, three years on the trot means we should retain the trophy permanently if only we could find it!
Full report can be read here.